Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Fantasy Resort

In less than 48 hours I will hop off a plane and into a weeklong vacation.  As much as I adore New York, it's during the summer that I start to envy the saps who live in small, seaside towns in Maine and whose [imagined] only stresses include what to do with all that lobster. I have actual aches of desire for the ocean while I'm stuck in the office, with the sun shining, breezes blowing and smell of garbage wafting through the air outside.


Though I've mentally packed half my wardrobe, I'm not convinced that I might not stumble on a few dozen grand and find myself free to pluck a few a few confections from the shops on 5th Avenue. In the event, I'll be well prepared:

Bottega Veneta's Resort 2011 collection was spectacular. Classic shapes, clean tailoring, and luxe but laidback materials epitomize my idea of resortwear. I love the pairing of a sculptural sheath like this one in white with a heavy, dark woven bag and black and white oxfords. It's effortless. It says, "Well my shoes and bag don't match, but that was the point. I still look fantastic." This I would wear to market after catching a cappucino at a quaint little cafe with Rilsan chairs.

And when the emerald sea beckons, I'll be set.



Chloe fully understands that not all women give up heels on vacation, and that silk brocade shorts really belong in regular rotation. The same can be said of tiny knit shorts. For me, what works so easily here is the fact that both looks use a rather demure color scheme. Who would be offended by gold, sand and copper? The hair is effortless and pulled back. It might look too vampy with cascades of curls. I get that. And really, do platforms even count as heels?



Lanvin: master of the flow, resort flapper of 2011. I love the impact of the python dress--a huge trend for fall--but how it manages to work almost as a neutral. The flouncy silhoutte is offset by the fact that chestnut and ivory aren't high impact colors. The lighting in this gorgeous photo doesn't hurt either. The turban, turquoise and red coral necklace and towering wedges balance this ensemble.

I love the ease of the black wrap dress. Throw on some four-inch wooden flatforms and a turban over damp hair and in literally three steps you're done. Forget layering, it's about accessorizing.



Forgive me for having a Lanvin moment. Though these looke are from Resort 2011 (old hat by now), I'm still enthralled. As I get older, I find myself drawn to shapes and styles that a bit more timeless than in the past. Maybe I'm saying that because I've gotten SO tired of the biker chic all-black ensembles with torn jeans and mohawks we saw for at least a year too long. Regardless, I do appreciate a gorgeous finished piece, and it never hurts to actually look like a woman.

Back to the photos: The white shirtdress has a bit of an artist smock thing going on. Museum worthy, yes. I'm ready to encase myself in it and make my way down the cool halls of the Musee d'Orsay.

Lanvin's last look here sums it all up for me: the flow of some foreign breeze, the time to enjoy it. Effortless-looking and gorgeous. 


But really, what vacation wouldn't be complete without a little nudity and dark socks with sandals? Alexander Wang does not disappoint.


And finally, thanks to Jason Wu, I'd have the baddest airport outfit in all of Charles de Gaulle. Note the hands in the pockets, shoulders slightly piqued, as if to say, "Is it time to leave already?"

No comments:

Post a Comment